Thursday
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home INTERVIEWS Celebrities New Moon's bad boy, Alex Meraz

New Moon's bad boy, Alex Meraz

E-mail Print PDF
Stepping into the Twilight world of vamps, werewolves and rabid fans might not be daunting for some actors, but 24-year-old Alex Meraz is more than ready to step into the spotlight as Paul, one of Jacob Blacks's wolf pack buddies, in the much-hyped sequel, The Twilight Saga: New Moon. We caught up with the soon-to-be heartthrob to talk wolf postures and whether he has better abs than Taylor Lautner.

There must have been some fierce competition for those four new werewolf roles. What was the audition process like and how did you finally land the role of Paul?

It was an intense process. When I received the call for submissions, I had already started working out because I knew it would be physically demanding. After a couple rounds of callbacks, I was lucky enough to land a role.

What can you tell us about Paul?
Paul is the "bad boy" of the wolf pack. He comes across as volatile, but I think he's misunderstood. He is just very proud of being Quileute and is unapologetic about being a protector for his people.

Did you and Taylor get at all competitive in terms of shirtless attributes?
First day I met Taylor I overheard him ask Edi Gathegi [who plays Laurent] if I was bigger than him. Edi answered, "He's just wider". I teased him about overhearing it and from there we became gym buddies and shared workout tips with each other.

Are you prepared for the hoard of female fans you’re about to gain?
Bring it on.

How did you approach the role in terms of playing a werewolf? Did you do any kind of research or physical prep?
I looked at books on wolf pack mentalities and how the chain of command is governed by looks and postures, so I wanted to use some of those attributes in playing my role.

Did you feel any pressure playing a character in a franchise with such die-hard fans?

I felt more responsibility to the Quileute tribe than anything because I wanted to represent their tribe in a respectful manner. I've been fortunate enough to find out that the die-hard fans are extremely supportive.

What do you like to do during your free time?
Paint, spend time with my family, and workout.

What are some of your favorite movies?
Fight Club, Only the Strong, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Ninja Scroll, Ong-Bak, Amores Perros, City of God, Apocalypto, and District 9

By Carla Thorpe

Bookmark with:

Comments (16)
dating
16 Monday, 01 February 2010 20:23
amanda treana carlson
hi paul and sam

you both are cutie and sexy
hi
15 Monday, 25 January 2010 19:51
michele
hes freakin hot 4 a 24 or 25 year old guy imean srsly.
Paul
14 Wednesday, 30 December 2009 11:22
Mei-ly
Althought Im on Team Edward i still think some of the wolves are super HOTTT and Paul is one of those wolves.
alex meraz
13 Friday, 06 November 2009 12:47
alexis maravilla
Hez FREAKIN HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carson junior high
12 Monday, 02 November 2009 12:43
melinda rogers
Hi Alex,

Did you go to Carson Junior High? I recognized your face immediately!

Your English Teacher,

Ms. Rogers
Alex Meraz
11 Friday, 30 October 2009 06:14
Lealani
I'm a fan like millions of other people of the twilight franchise. I hope Hollywood doesn't change you or the hoard of female fans you're going to inherit. You talk so proudly of your wife and kids, stay true to yourself, I can't imagine anyone else playing Paul, Summit got that part right!
Paul
10 Sunday, 25 October 2009 07:06
Naylarie1210
He loves Amores Perros??? i luv luv him!!
9 Saturday, 24 October 2009 12:40
KStew Krew
Isn't he the one who gets busted in the chops by Bella? .......LMFAO!!!! Go Bella!!!!!
Puck
8 Saturday, 24 October 2009 03:41
Puck
I also think Paul is a interesting werewolves.
He is more agressive than the others and proud on his nature.

@Paul, you're crazy xD!
Alex
7 Friday, 23 October 2009 20:49
deedee
he likes Ninja Scroll!!!

It's official: I LOVE HIM!
A to Q1:
6 Friday, 23 October 2009 18:47
Deja
The two boys in Twilight were Quil and Embry... Jacob didn't hang out with, or even like Sam until he turned werewolf.

I believe both actors have been replace, no?
Answer2
5 Friday, 23 October 2009 15:36
Ceane
Technically I think one of the other Quilette boys in the first movie was supposed to be "Paul" but his role was pretty much limited to standing there for 5 seconds. And he was not played by Alex.
Paul
4 Friday, 23 October 2009 10:54
Gracie
Well i think that paul (From the books and the movie) would have to be one of the most interesting werewolves there. And let's face it ladies, a bad boy is a hot boy.
Alex
3 Friday, 23 October 2009 04:56
nicole
hey Alex i think you are a great actor not only that though you are extremely hot and can't wait for New Moon to come out i know its going to be awesome!!
Answer
2 Friday, 23 October 2009 01:46
Kylie
Although most fans did assume that one of the boys Jake talks to was Sam (played by Soloman Trimble) they were never actually named. )But I think if one was Sam, the others should probably have been Paul and Jared) None of those actors are gonna be in New Moon.
Question
1 Thursday, 22 October 2009 22:01
Mayra
Was Paul in the first movie, Twilight? What were the names of the boys who were with Jacob when they were at the res. It seems like one was Sam but they never say the name of the other one. is that actor in NM or is someone else playing his part?